Plants That Are Poisonous to Dogs
Many people have no idea that some plants are poisonous to dogs, especially indoors. Even plants we would consider delicious are toxic to dogs if they are accidentally ingested. Your dog's curious nature and insatiable appetite to make this possible. If you have ever had a dog, you know how tempting it is for your dog to try everything - and sometimes it ends up being something potentially poisonous. To prevent this, you should learn about plants that are dangerous for your dog. And if you think your pooch has ingested a plant that is toxic, you should immediately call your veterinarian and/or an animal poisoning hotline.
If you are wondering what plants are toxic to dogs, the ASPCA offers a list of the most dangerous ones. It is a good idea to check with your vet if your dog has ingested any of these plants. But you should also be careful with the plants that you already own! A great way to find out if a plant is safe for your dog is to search for it online.
Tulips: These flowers are extremely poisonous to dogs. The parts of the plant are incredibly delicious to dogs, but eating these can cause liver failure, convulsions, and even death. Aside from being extremely poisonous, tulips also cause diarrhea and excessive mouth inflammation. It is also essential to keep an eye on your dog while gardening in order to prevent a dangerous situation.
Some plants are not listed on the above list, but may be dangerous to dogs. If you are unsure of whether a plant is safe or not, research it before bringing it home. The ASPCA has a searchable database of plants that are toxic to dogs. If you are not sure a plant is safe, check with your vet before bringing it home. The ASPPA's list is a great resource for checking out the safety of plants in your yard.
While holly is generally not toxic to dogs, it is a plant that should not be grown near a dog. The leaves of holly are toxic to pets, so keep them out of reach. In addition to hollies, the hydrangea flower and the Chinaberry tree contain toxic chemicals. These plants are particularly dangerous to dogs because they may lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal problems.
The weeping fig is toxic to dogs. It is a commonly grown tree in Asia and Australia, and is also a popular houseplant in U.S. warmer climates. It contains an enzyme called ficin that damages proteins in dogs. The weeping fig is also toxic to cats and dogs. Its fruits and flowers can be deadly to a dog.